So, all my changes so far haven't resulted in a stable system. Well, stable yes, but performing ... absolutely not.
Now that I'm back from my business trip, it's time to try again. This time I had planned on using Ubuntu 6.06.2 LTS amd64 as it's supported (officially) by both the 3ware card and VMware Server. However, that seemed to not like something about my configuration. All I got was a hang after "Booting kernel ..." on the installer.
So, then I tried OpenSuSE 10.2 Community (the OS I was using before all this started). That booted, but it couldn't find the array.
So, I happened to have a Ubuntu Server 7.0.4 x86 32-bit CD and out of desperation, I tried that. An hour or so later, Mindy is back up and running. Now I just get to see if this solves my other problems. Sigh.